Saturday, May 28, 2005

More old knitted stuff

Many years ago, I designed and knitted this waistcoat for 'im indoors:



Yes, he does still wear it.

Fair Isle knitting went into abeyance for years, until the onset of cyberspace and I decided to join in Wendy's knitalong for Fair Isle newbies. I'm not sure the pattern is still available but this was my re-introduction to Fair Isle knitting and my very first experience of steeking. Given my abhorence of sewing, the steek is a fundamental part of my knitting armoury. Scary at first (chocolate and wine needed) but oh, so satisfying afterwards.

This was the result:




And for those of you interested, here's a shot of the "private" side:




Looks pretty neat, don't you think?

I once went to an exhibition of Kaffe Fassett's work at the Victoria and Albert Museum and all I wanted to do was to look at the "private" side of the work. Of course, you weren't allowed to touch the exhibits, so the only way you could see the private side was where a V-neck sweater was shown hanging on a pole through the sleeves. From what I could see, it looked a total mess. Knots, even! My stitching teacher told me the back should look as neat as the front - she would have been appalled. I hope MY private side will pass muster.

No comments: