Monday, June 20, 2005

I'm doing it my way

I finally reached the point on the Highland Triangle shawl where I simply had to decide which is the private side and which the public. In spite of the fact that I am totally swimming against the tide, (just doing what salmon do best), I have decided to stick to my original thought and use Ms Oberle's private side as my public side. This caused a slight hiccough, because, of course, when she says "Bind off loosely. Do not break yarn. With the RS facing, begin at the corner where the yarn is attached and pick up by knitting..." I'm at the wrong end! Then I thought that maybe the same thing would happen with the border pattern - ie her "right" side is my private side. So I did the unthinkable. I did a teeny swatch!



This is what she calls the "wrong" side. Sure enough, this is my "public" side!

So being at the "wrong" end isn't such a big problem after all. I started to pick up and knit the stitches for the border but I didn't like the look of it at all. I didn't like the look of it so much that I didn't even take a picture.
I ripped it out and had a think and decided to pick up and purl the border stitches.



Here is the border attached, showing the public side.

And this is the private side:



I think I've solved the problem very neatly, although, as several people commented the thing is reversible, so it's very much an academic question. I just need to knit the border, do the edging and it's finished. Then I can move on to the myriad of other projects that are whirling around in my brain.

I might even get round to washing more of the Jacob sheep fleece I was given and learning to spin. That should keep me in blog fodder for a while.

No comments: