Thursday, August 04, 2005

Double Trouble?

I came across this mystery yarn the other day:



It's not exactly a mystery, since, for once, we actually have ball bands. This is Phildar "Phil'douce" 75% acrylic, 20% kid mohair, 5% wool. There are three full balls, three partial balls and two balls that appear to have already been knitted up and unravelled. (I don't know if that last is true, unravelling something with 20% mohair usually results in more of a mess than we seem to have here.) I don't know how old it is; I don't know where it came from; I have had, until now, no idea what to do with it. It has spoken up a couple of times but we could never agree on what it wanted to be.

I don't know if this is a great idea but I think this yarn wants to be the second mystery shawl. To that end, I got out the 3.5mm needles; I got out one of the little balls of Phil'douce; I printed out chart 1A and I was off.

What do you think:



Some people on the Mystery Shawl Along have measured their work at the end of chart 2 and found it to be 9 inches by 20 inches. When I stretch this out it's about 8 by 18, more or less in the right area. Is it too nerdy to be knitting two mysteries at once?

In other news, I knocked this out yesterday:



Another One Skein Wonder for Ann. Less than 100g Aran weight 100% wool from stash, trimmed with the Wendy Melody pictured the other day. It's not quite as tight as mine and the back has a slight tendency to curl up but she is pleased with it and I'm pleased she's pleased.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Not nerdy at all. Both your shawls look great to me. Can't wait for the next clue.

littlelixie said...

Hmmm, almost tempted to make a OSW after seeing that pic. It does look great!

Micky said...

No I don't think it's nerdy. But wow, I just hope I can get through the one. Mystery yarns for mystery shawls, very fitting.
:)