Friday, October 14, 2005

I'm still supporting the cause.

I'm supporting National Knitting Week by knitting (but as this is nothing unusual you can't really tell the difference) and by buying books (also not all that unusual, but I am trying.)

This appeared on the door-step:



Contents?

These:



Stephanie's latest bookbookbook - because she's funny and we all know what she means (and she was knitting Birch at the same time as me; and the Highland Triangle shawl; and the spiral scarf from Scarf Style; scary, no?); Claire Garland's "Knitted Babes" - because they are cute; A Gathering of Lace - because, for some strange reason, I don't own a copy. This last is awesome and I want to knit just about everything in it. It gathers (ha ha) together all the usual suspects - you know: Hazel Carter, Sandy Terp, Debbie New, Susanna Lewis and so on and so on. So between trying to read all of these at the same time, go to work and watch some snooker, did I get any knitting done?

Why, yes! (Because I'm not slacking, I'm supporting the cause.) I finished the Button Wrap:



Seen here, resting in the garden. Not a brilliant picture - it is almost dark at 10am, but at least the flash didn't go off.

Here's a close-up of the buttons:



The ones shown on the model in the pattern book seem, to me, to be a little bit low-key. They are sort of brown-ish, a bit "none" as my mother would say. This whole wrap is much more vibrant in real life than it appears on the screen or in the book and I wanted these buttons to emphasise the "bling" factor.

The true fact of the matter is that they were the only buttons in the huge button tin that were a) anywhere near the right size and b) anywhere near the right colour. This so rarely happens that I have designated this a "Gold Button Day".

Blocking of Rosy Fingered Dawn should take place later on today or possibly tomorrow. Stand by for tales of woe -I just feel there might be another sting in the tail. The booze is chilling, the chocolate is to hand. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

happyspider said...

wrap is fantasmagorical! so great i had to make up a word. And hooray for gold button day, im going to have a celebratory shot of chocolate liquer.

Daisy said...

Good luck! :-) I'm sure RFD will be fine, then you can eat the chocolate/drink the wine in celebration!

MissLucy said...

You seem to be well prepared! Good luck!!

KnitYoga said...

The button wrap looks lovely. I bought the yarn for that, too. I'm doing mine in the red Impression and the petal Sari Ribbon.

Luscious Gracious said...

Beautiful wrap, Kate. I am so in love with these new yarns, which is so bizarre for me. But her colors are perfect, and the quality is superb....
In other news, my little Lucy Jane is in love with that "Knitted Babes" book, and carries it everywhere. I think she has 4 or 5 dolls cast on already (sadly, this daughter indeed suffers from what Stephanie terms "startitis"). I'll send photos when she's done.
Can't wait to see Rosy.
love,
kiki