Thursday, December 08, 2005

Wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I do not believe it! I have finally knitted my way out of the black hole. The Twisty Turns Wrap (I made a Freudian slip by writing "warp" then) is finished. The knitting is done. The sewing up is done. That was a feat in itself - as some of you may know, I am not fond of sewing up. In fact, I normally move heaven and earth to avoid it.

The construction of the warped wrap is ingenious. It's a bit origami-like and a bit like one of those metal puzzles you find in Christmas crackers. The one where you have to take the two pieces apart and it is impossible until you know the trick and then it's so obvious you feel completely stupid that you couldn't work it out. The wrap requires careful assembly (for fear of creating a Mobius strip - which I did the first time and had to undo it.) So I was already in a teeth gnashing mood and that was before I finished the sewing up and really looked at the tangled mess. It looks reasonably OK but (and I'm sure most of you have guessed where this is going) it is - I can't bring myself to write this - it is TOO BIG.

Oh, the wailing; the gnashing; the cursing; the swearing; the tearing out of hair; the walking into the garden; the yelling at the stupid sheep in the back field; the deep breathing; the taking stock; the realisation that it is not all bad; the going back on that and deciding it IS all bad, it's the worst thing I've ever knitted, it's the most stupid thing I've ever done.

At this point #1 daughter appeared and silently brought me this:



Yes, it's the frog.

I'm thinking I might be able to sew the back seam and snip off the excess. I'm thinking that if that doesn't work I really am up knit creek. I'm thinking that #1 daughter is quite correct and that the only thing to do is to frog.

And I am still cursing.

If this is the day the "Simply Knitting" magazine is published, and if this is the issue with the article about knitting bloggers in it, and if I am mentioned, and if you came here because of it expecting to be entertained, I just want to say:

I'm sorry for all the cursing.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Oh dear Kate! I do hope you'll be able to rescue the situation without too much frogging. Your frog is v. cute, btw

Uknitty said...

Two words....

Wine.

Chocolate.

C x

littlelixie said...

Nasty, although I don't really understand. Does it matter a lot that it's too big? Need to read back through your blog I think as have been away for a few days. Sympathy in buckets going out to you.

happyspider said...

my creative writing lecturer says you should always leave your writing for at least a week after you finish it. do something else, forget about it, and then come back refreshed.
same applies i think. dont do anything while you still feel close to it and panicky. go knit some socks or something (no seams at all!)
good luck