Monday, July 24, 2006

Watching paint dry

I'm knitting on the Wedding Ring Shawl to the exclusion of all else. It's like a drug - I just want more and more. So it is growing but at a rate so slow that it is more interesting from your point view to watch paint drying.

There have been requests for a stretched out picture. Here she is:



Red yarn markers detract from her wraith-like beauty so I've removed them. This is only temporary - I still like my yarn markers and I know others have got rid of theirs but mine are staying.

So here she is again, more ethereal than ever:



She is not blocked in any way. I simply stretched her out on a dark background, so she is a little skew-whiff, but I think you can get the general idea.

A close-up of the two rings motif:



Not much more to say really. I've just completed row 21 of the second pattern repeat. I had a little adventure where something was not right but I've fixed it (at least to my own satisfaction - the chap on the running horse is reasonably happy, too). I didn't document the process because I had enough to do to stop the stitch slipping away from me without juggling a camera at the same time.

It really is very difficult to correct mistakes so the moral of this story is - don't make a mistake in the first place. Easier said than done but I'm trying my best.

10 comments:

Laritza said...

It is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I go out of town for a week and look at what I missed while I was away! You are making some seriously impressive progress, Kate. I'm pea green with envy!

Heather said...

So gorgeous! I can't wait to see her when she is all done.

allisonmariecat said...

Wow. Just...wow.

bitterknitter said...

I'm working on the Wedding Ring Shawl as well, although at a MUCH slower rate (as in 2 rows a month so far, to have 6 rows finished!). I agree with not making a mistake...I love how yours is coming along and can't wait to see mine grow a bit more!

Annie said...

I'm gobsmacked - it's fanbloodytastic!

dianemulholland said...

She is beautiful *gazes in silent awe*

I have done one patt rpt on branching out :-)

Daisy said...

She does look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful, so delicate, it's looking lovely.
Yu have probably seen Laritza's finished WRS. She posts on both Yahoo groups; Heirloom Knitting and laceknitters. Her shawl is stunning. Judith in Australia

Lacefreak said...

Your work is just beautiful! You are also quite fast! I'm very very slow on mine and I had to trash the first attempt and re-do. I'm only up to row 20 of the center. I hope mine eventually looks as good as yours! Keep up the great work.