Sunday, August 06, 2006

Socks, socks, socks

Actually, it's more like sock, sock, sock. Ages ago I made a blue stripey sock for 'im indoors. Even though I used the same pattern that I have used before, the sock didn't fit him very well. It lay around in my knitting basket feeling sorry for itself for quite a while. Eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and rip the sock out.

So, I started again. This time I used Wendy's generic toe-up sock pattern. I like the toe of this sock - you don't have to try and wrestle with a few stitches on four dpns. However, if you look at the pattern carefully, you will see that she uses a short row heel (which is just like the toe) without a gusset. Easy to do, nicely explained and once it was done I got him to try it on and that's when we realised he couldn't actually get it on his foot. 'Im indoors is a man who needs a gusset.

I ripped the heel out, I ripped part of the foot out. I ripped a bit of my own hair out too, for good measure. I made a gusset, using the original pattern. I then used this heel, which I have never done before. It's very like the one on Wendy's sock. Finally, we have a sock that fits.

sock on tree

So this is the third sock (but, paradoxically, it's only the first sock).

Here's a close-up of the gusset and heel:

sock gusset

The Hungarian Grand Prix (Go Jensen!) has meant that progress on the fourth second sock has been good:

second sock toe

I believe some people make two socks at the same time on two circular needles - good job I wasn't doing that. Imagine how many socks I'd be up to by now.

What's that? Oh, you tuned in here to see progress on the Wedding Ring Shawl? Here you go:

WRS two repeats

That is two pattern repeats plus five rows of the third repeat. She is coming on.

Added later: I have just had a massive, three-hour-long fight with Blogger, trying to get the pictures to appear. I think I have cracked it but if not, please let me know.

7 comments:

Laritza said...

In the last issue of knitty there is a pattern for a toe up sock that has the regular gusset and heel. I have not tried it but someone said it is great.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTwiddershins.html
there you go.

ofpinsandneedles said...

The WRS looks amazing. I keep coming back here to look at all your archived lace posts, so it's good to watch something grow in real time! (Also reassuring to see that even you have sock troubles. I've had no end of them).

Hope you have had a good weekend nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

The WRS is just amazing!

About socks - I get to the heel-turning point on a pattern I've made dozens of tmes and I still have to look it up. Usually have to frog it at least once too. Don't feel like the lone ranger here :)

Heather said...

Love the socks. Wendy's pattern is my favorite.

The shawl is sooo beautiful. I can just imagine how light and soft it is. I'm loving watching your progresss on it.

Anonymous said...

It is there and gorgeous!!!

allisonmariecat said...

The WRS continues to amaze me! Sock #3 is lovely. I'm a bit nervous now about making socks for my hubby...I had planned on using Wendy's pattern, but I wonder if he's one who needs a gusset, too. He has sort of weird knobbly feet, so I've been putting off starting his Christmas socks :)

Lacefreak said...

Your WRS looks just wonderful! Very delicate. It's great to see how you're progressing with it. You have real fortitude!