Saturday, May 31, 2008

Water, water, everywhere

I don't know about you, but in our house my stash is threatening to take over. It has wormed its way into every room in the house and is tucked into all sorts of hidey holes. There's quite a lot in the hallway. It's stored in two hanging basket type thingies (technical term). At least, they were hanging, until they fell down (surely they weren't too heavy?) a while ago and laziness and sheer cack-handedness with drills and hooks and such like meant that they remained on the floor in an untidy heap.

It's been raining rather a lot lately. It rained so much that water got in under the front door, unknown to me at first, since we never use it. It was only when I came to dig out some yarn from the un-hanging basket that I realised it was wet.

I spent quite a long time yesterday sorting out the wet yarn; putting the wet yarn into skeins; wetting the yarn some more, with clean water and shampoo this time; hanging the yarn to dry:



and finally making it into a neat little row:



That is, from left to right, some Rowan Ribbon Twist; Rowan Polar; Rowan Rowanspun 4 ply; Blackberry Ridge wool/silk lace weight; unknown cotton (what was I thinking?); Louisa Harding Impression; Colinette Skye.

I think I have managed to save the day.

I haven't forgotten the meme - I'm just biding my time.

1 comment:

allisonmariecat said...

Oh, goodness! You did save the day. Impressive rescue, really.

Don't you love Blackberry Ridge wool/silk? I have two skeins that I've no idea what to do with, but I like to pet it every once in a while. My stash is mostly under control now, in under-bed containers, but at one point, I had yarn stashed in the cupboards of a TV stand... I do like your idea of hanging baskets, but, like you, have a problem with cack-handedness at drilling (love that term). Maybe when my dad comes to visit...